Cagbalete Island is one of the jewels of Quezon Province. Located off the coast of the town of Mauban, it is a small island paradise in the province surrounded with cream sand that exposes significantly during low tide.
The 1,640-hectare privately owned island is home to a diverse ecosystem. With unique variety of birds, rich marine life, and the abundance of unique species of plants, the island is a complete paradise for adventurers and nature lovers. Similar to Jomalig Island in Northern Quezon, a part of the Cagbalete’s beach is dotted with Agoho trees, a family of pine tree.
Just three hours away from the Philippine capital, Cagbalete Island promises an unforgettable and picture perfect island getaway you will truly remember.
How to Get to Cagbalete Island
Manila to Lucena Grand Central Terminal
Cagbalete Island is under the jurisdiction of the town of Mauban, Quezon. To go there, catch a Lucena bound bus in Kamias, Cubao, Alabang or Buendia. Jac Liner, Jam Transit, Lucena Liner and Ceres Transport have buses bound to Lucena Grand Central Terminal. Buses leave almost every hour every day for approximately three hours bus ride from Buendia, fare is as low as P210.
You can book your ferry tickets from Manila to Lucena and vice versa below.
Lucena Grand Central Terminal to Mauban
From Lucena Grand Central Terminal, catch a van or local bus to Mauban for almost two hours travel time, fare is around P60-70 with last trip is at around 6PM. Alternatively, vans and air-con buses to Mauban are located in SM City Lucena for P80-90, with trip up to 9PM, travel time is faster at around an hour.
Mauban to Cagbalete
Upon getting off the bus in Mauban, it is only a short walk to the port where passenger boats to Cagbalete Island are stationed. Trips are scheduled at 10AM and 4PM daily, for P100 per person. The boats can ferry around 50-60 people. They usually drop off passengers at “Sabang” although they sometimes drop off their passengers directly to the south eastern part of the island where the resorts Villa Cleofas and MVT Sto. Nino are located. You may also arrange a private boat through your resort, rate starts at P4,000 two-way (Mauban-Cagbalete-Mauban) and can ferry up to 25 people.
If you are going to the Pansacola, Villa Cleofas or MVT Sto. Niño from Sabang, you can hire a small banca there for around P400.00 one way or you can take the 1.5 KM walk.
Where to Stay in Cagbalete Island
Tourists usually stay on the south eastern part of the island. There are three known resorts in the area – the Villa Cleofas, Pansacola Beach Resort and MVT Sto. Niño Beach Resort.
Villa Cleofas has various cottages and rooms for rent ranging from P900 (for an open cottage that is good for eight people) to P4000 (big cottage with rooms that can accommodate up to 25 persons).
- Big cottage (35 people capacity) – P10,000/night
- Big cottage (20 people capacity) – P5,500/overnight
- Big cottage (15 people capacity) – P4,500/night
- Medium cottage (12 people capacity) – P3,500/night
- Small cottage (8 people capacity) – P3,000/night
- Duplex cottage (5 people capacity ) – P2,000/night
- Studio Type (2 people capacity) -P2,500/night
- Studio Type (4 people capacity) -P3,500/night
They have good facilities and offers different activities like beach volleyball, table tennis, karaoke, horse back riding, boat rental. They also allow camping along the beach for as low as P250 per tent plus entrance fee of P50. They also offer tent rental for as low as P400/tent. For more information, visit their website at www.cagbalete.com or contact:
Contact Info: +email@example.com (Ed Jacob); +firstname.lastname@example.org (Tonet Reyeg / Tess Reyeg)
MVT Sto. Niño Resort
MVT Sto. Niño Resort is located beside Villa Cleofas. They have rooms and cottages and offer a more quiet atmosphere. Small cottages along the beach costs for as low as P1,000 good for up to four (4) persons; Standard fan room starts at P1500/night good for two (2) persons; Deluxe room with air-con is at P2000/night good for two (2) persons. Camping is also allowed, you may rent their tent for as low as P350/night good for two (2) plus entrance fee of P150/person.
Contact No: +63917-6787080
Pansacola Beach Resort
Pansacola Beach Resort offers great beachfront be it high tide or low tide. They have private cottages but for those in a budget, you may opt to camp for P250/head. They have tents which can be rented at P300/night good for 2-3 people, you may also bring your own tent.
Contact No: +63917-5465901
What to do in Cagbalete Island
- Swimming and Beach Hopping
- Island Hopping: Yang-in Sandbar, Fish Sanctuary and Ilog Bukana
- Snorkeling/Scuba Diving (bring your own equipments)
- Bird watching
- Horseback riding
- Beach Volleyball/Frisbee
- Walk to the nearby Bonsai Island and see the century old bonsai plants
- Visit the neighboring Baliscar Island and its lighthouse
- Surfing/Skim boarding (Oct to Feb – bring your own board)
- Watch the sunrise
- Explore the attractions of mainland Mauban: Chasing Waterfalls in Mauban: Dahoyhoy Falls, Hagdan-Hagdan Falls, Alitap Falls, etc.
Sample Cagbalete Weekend Itinerary
0230H: Assembly at Buendia
0300H: Bus from Buendia to Lucena Grand Central Terminal
0600H: Arrival in Lucena Grand Central Terminal / Breakfast
0700H: Van or Bus from Lucena Grand Central Terminal to Mauban
0800H: Arrival in Mauban / Register at Tourism Office / Shop for supplies
0900H: Boat from Mauban Port to Cagbalete Island
1000H: Arrival in Cagbalete Island / Proceed to resort / set-up camp / rest / prepare lunch
1300H: Island Hopping: Yang-in Sandbar, Fish Sanctuary, Ilog Bukana & Snorkeling
1800H: Back at resort / wash-up / fix-up
1900H onwards: Dinner / Socials / Lights out
0530H: Call time / Sunrise / Breakfast
0700H: Free time / swimming
0900H: Wash-up / break-camp / proceed to port
1000H: Boat from Cagbalete to Mauban
1100H: Arrival in Mauban / Proceed to Dahoyhoy Falls
1300H: Back to Mauban Proper / Lunch
1430H: Van or Bus from Mauban to Lucena Grand Central Terminal
1600H: Arrival in Lucena Grand Central Terminal
1630H: Bus from Lucena Grand Central Terminal to Buendia
2000H: Arrival in Buendia / Dinner
Logistics / Expenses
|Bus: Buendia to Lucena||P210/person|
|Van or Bus: Lucena to Mauban||P70/person|
|Boat: Mauban to Sabang (Cagbalete Island)||P100/person|
|Entrance at Resort||P100/person|
|Accommodation at Cagbelete||P1000/night (2-person sharing)|
|Island Hopping:Yang-in Sandbar, Fish Sanctuary, Ilog Bukana & Snorkeling||P1,000/boat for 3 hours (6-person sharing)|
|Miscellaneous Expenses (food, souvenirs, personal expenses, etc.)||~P1,000/person|
|Boat: Cagbalete Island to Mauban||P100/person|
|Van or Bus: Mauban to Lucena||P70/person|
|Bus: Lucena to Buendia||P210/person|
- No electricity in the island but resort offers generator from 6PM to 6AM.
- Boat ride from Mauban to Cagbalete Island can be rough at times and generally rough during the ‘ber’ months up to February, so prepare to be wet.
- Entrance fee at Villa Cleofas is P50, P100 for MVT Sto. Niño and P250 for Pansacola. If you are staying in Villa Cleofas, you can arrange them to prepare meals for you or you can use their kitchen, dining hall and their facilities for cooking and dining, usage is on first-come-first-served basis and you have to clean the area and wash all utilities you used.
- Mobile signal is available in the island
- Estimated budget for overnight in Cagbalete: P1,500 – P2,000
Originally Published: 27-Jun-2011 | Updates: 21-May-2014; 05-Dec-2017; 10-Aug-2018; 12-Feb-2020