Get ready to see the “Wings of Vision” in the 14th edition of Cinemalaya Film Festival, the Philippines’ biggest independent film festival.
Ten full-length films and ten short films will compete on this year’s festival honors from August 3 to 12 at the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) and selected Ayala Cinemas.
The ten competing full-length films are:
- “Distance” by Percival Intalan
- “Kung Paano Hinihintay ang Dapithapon (Waiting for Sunset)” by Carlo Enciso Catu
- “Kuya Wes” by James Robin Mayo
- “Liway” by Kip Oebanda
- “Mamang” by Denise O’Hara
- “ML” by Benedicto Mique Jr.
- “Musmos na Sumibol sa Gubat ng Digma (Unless the Water is Safer than the Land)” by Iar Lionel Arondaing
- “Pan De Salawal (The Sweet taste of Salter Bread and Undies)” by Che Espiritu
- “School Service” by Luisito Lagdameo Ignacio
- “The Lookout” by Afi Africa.
Meanwhile, the ten competing shorts are:
- “Babylon” by Keith Deligero
- “Jodilerks Dela Cruz, Employee of the Month” by Carlo Francisco Manatad
- “Kiko” by Jojo Driz
- “Logro” by Kani Villaflor
- “Nangungupahan (Who Rents There Now?)” by Glenn Barit
- “Sa Saiyang Isla (In His Island)” by Christian Candelaria
- “Si Astri maka Si Tambulah (Astri and Tambulah)” by Xeph
- “Siyudad sa Bulawan (City of Gold)” by Jarell Serencio
- “Yakap” by Mika Fabella and Rafael Froilan Jr.
- “You, Me and Mr. Wiggles” by Jav Velasco
Aside from films in competition, Cinemalaya 2018 will also showcase the films “Bagets” and “Magnifico” as tribute to Director Maryo J. Delos Reyes and “Manila by Night” by Ishmael Bernal as tribute to veteran actor Bernardo Bernardo. This is aside from the festival mainstays Dokyu, Best of the Festivals, Indie Nation, and Visions of Asia that will feature some of the best indie works, as well as Retrospective Section that will feature the 2017 Cinemalaya Best Film “Respeto” by Treb Montreras and “Baconaua” by last year’s Best Director, Joseph Israel Laban.
The final projects of the Directing and Production Management workshops of the 4th Cinemalaya Institute will also be showcased while the Cinemalaya Campus is scheduled on August 7 and 8 at the CCP Silangan Hall.
Cinemalaya 2018 Awards Night is set on August 12 at the Tanghalang Nicanor Abelardo (CCP Main Theater) where aside from this years awardees, the winners of Cinemalaya Nespresso Vertical Shorts 2018 Competition will also be announced.
Schedule of screenings for Cinemalaya 2018 will be posted soon. For more information www.cinemalaya.org, www.culturalcenter.gov.ph and the Cinemalaya Facebook page.