Cagayan de Oro City, the capital of Misamis Oriental, is the gateway to Northern Mindanao. It is one of the places in the Philippines where I want to live. A place where adventure, nature and city living intersect in a rich blend of diverse culture and art.
CDO as what this city is popularly called, is home to half a million inhabitants. This typhoon-free city is the regional and shopping capital of Northern Mindanao, with a very active and vibrant nightlife. The Night Cafe and Market is a must experience, where locals and tourists gather in the streets of Divisoria on weekends to enjoy music, beer, barbecues and great bargains.
The place is also popular to white water rafting enthusiasts, with class III and IV rapids of Cagayan de Oro River stretching from Barangay Dansolihon to the city proper.
Experience the hospitality of its people, the endless smiles in the City of Golden Friendship, the city in bloom, blossom and boom. Ali na sa Cagayan de Oro.
How to Get There:
By Land and Water
(Though Lakwatsero haven’t try these means of transportation yet, one can possibly reach Cagayan de Oro by bus and/or ferry rides from Manila. These alternatives are relatively cheaper than air travel though quite strenous.)
- Philtranco buses offers Manila(Pasay) to Cagayan de Oro for an approximately 42 hours travel time
- SuperFerry, Negros Navigation and Sulpicio Lines have ferries bound to Cagayan de Oro City for around 30 hours travel time
Where to Stay:
Cagayan de Oro being one of the frequently visited place by tourists in Mindanao has a lot of resorts and hotels. For the list of hotels and resorts in the city, click here.
From adventure to nature, shopping to night life, you will surely love Cagayan de Oro. While in here, don’t miss the following activities, places to visit, foods to eat and things to do:
- Feel the rapids of the mighty Cagayan de Oro River in White Water Rafting/Kayaking/River Tubing
- Visit Plaza del Heroes, Vicente de Lara Park, Gaston Park and Saint Augustine Metropolitan Cathedral
- Horseback riding, biking, zipline and nature trekking in Mapawa Nature Park
- Try the Canopy Walk and zipline in Macahambus Cave and Gorge
- Shop and dine in Limketkai Mall
- Experience the eco-tourism village of the Garden of Malasag
- Enjoy music, beer, barbecues and great bargains at Night Cafe and Market at Divisoria
- Drop by to Catanico Falls
- Swim in the beaches of Cugman and nearby towns of Opol, Medina and Balingoan
- Taste the famous Pastel, a yummy yema filled bun
- Spend a day or two in the nearby province of Camiguin, Bukidnon or Iligan City
Lakwatsero Experience: Lakwatsero has been to Cagayan de Oro in 2004. Watch out for the narrative and itinerary of his CDO adventure in “My Travels”.